To talk to an experienced family law attorney about your case,
please call our Fargo office at
Menu Contact

What if I need a child support modification in North Dakota?

When a couple has a child in North Dakota and divorces, there will be a child support order. In general, the noncustodial parent will pay support to the custodial parent so the child can be properly cared for. The amount in the order will be based on the state's child support guidelines. Earnings are critical when determining how much the support order will be. There are other factors that will be considered in addition to income. Many people might be under the impression that once the order is made, it cannot be changed. That, however, is not the case. A modification is possible if the circumstances warrant it.

The modification will not be done automatically. There must be a court order to make a change just as there was a court order for the original amount. A review will be conducted every 18 months. This is 18 months from the order, the previous review or the previous change. It is done when one of the parents is getting Full Services from state. Exceptions to the rule that it will be done every 18 months include there being zero dollars awarded or if a parent who is ordered to pay begins receiving Supplemental Security Income or other disability after the order. Either parent can ask for a review.

There are certain forms that must be filled out for various circumstances. If, for example, there is split custody or the parent paying support wants the review, a financial affidavit and contact information form must be filled out. Reviews will sometimes be done even if neither parent has asked for it. Income is the main factor in determining child support. The child support guidelines must be used to come to the determination in any child support order. Once the review is completed, the parents will be informed and can agree or disagree with the decision. If parents take the action privately and there are no exceptions, they can request a review before 18 months have elapsed.

Child support can be a complex matter especially when a parent wants a modification to the order. Employment issues, the child's needs changing and other factors can make a modification possible based on the guidelines. From either parent's perspective, it is important to have legal advice when seeking a child support modification. Calling a law firm that helps parents with their family law matters is essential.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Tell Us About Your Case

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Commandments of Family Law

  1. The only truth your children need to know is that you both love them unconditionally, and that this isn't their fault.
  2. Take the high road — everyone wins when you do what's best for your kids.
  3. Negotiate but don't capitulate — if you are being pushed toward something detrimental for your children, stand your ground.
  4. You can only control yourself and how you respond. Don't engage.
  5. Do set up rules and responsibilities. Kids feel better when routine is continued.
  6. You are still their parent — don't be afraid to be one.
  7. Disneyland is in California, not in your home. Don't set up unreasonable expectations.
  8. It is not their job to take care of you. Repeat that to them. Often.
  9. Yelling is for sports — not court. Good lawyers strongly advocate without being disrespectful to opposing parties.
  10. Fair is a place you go to get cheese curds. Aside from that, nothing in life is fair.

Our Location:

Melinda Weerts PLLC
2534 South University Drive Suite 2
Fargo, ND 58103

Fax: 701-271-0082
Fargo Law Office Map

Back to top