Melinda Weerts Law, PLLC Family & Divorce Law
To talk to an experienced family law attorney about your case,
please call our Fargo office at 701-297-2234

Finding Positive Solutions For Your
Family Law Concerns

Where does summer camp fit into child support?

On Behalf of | Jul 18, 2018 | Child Support |

In North Dakota, as in other jurisdictions around the country, there is an obligation on parents to support their children, both emotionally and financially, regardless of whether they are married to one another. This means financial obligations continue even after the couple gets a divorce from one another. There are specific factors that are included in the calculation for child support payments, but the question that might be coming to many parents minds during the summer months is: who pays for summer camp?

The noncustodial parent is generally responsible for making child support payments to the other parent, the parent with physical custody. While child support statutes cover a wide range of areas, such as medical expenses, school fees, entertainment and extracurricular activities, if a child support agreement does not expressly cover summer camp arrangements, parents may find themselves wading into grey area.

Childcare services are included in most states child support considerations. This means if one or both parents are unable to take care of their children due to work-related or education reasons, then child support may cover childcare expenses. This could include daycare services, nannies and babysitters. It could also be argued that summer camp, where a child spends their day during summer months when school is out, could be considered a form of childcare but it depends on the type of summer camp the child is attending.

The importance of a comprehensive child support agreement cannot be stressed enough-it is important to envision the types of issues that may arise as children grow older and factor them into the agreement. It might be beneficial to consult an experienced attorney for guidance on how to ensure children continue to get the care they need despite their parents no longer living together.

FindLaw Network