Melinda Weerts Law, PLLC Family & Divorce Law
To talk to an experienced family law attorney about your case,
please call our Fargo office at 701-297-2234

Finding Positive Solutions For Your
Family Law Concerns

How to respond to repeated custody order violations

On Behalf of | Oct 13, 2023 | Child Custody |

Parents with shared custody in North Dakota generally need to cooperate with each other. They need to change custody regularly and agree on certain issues for their children, like what medical care they will receive. A North Dakota custody order typically provides an outline for how parents need to split their time and the allocation of decision-making authority.

Unfortunately, those subject to custody orders do not always abide by them. Some people try to diminish their ex’s control or time with the children out of spite. Many others may simply struggle to understand the real-world implications of the custody order and to comply with it consistently. As a result, parents can benefit from taking a few specific steps if they’re experiencing repeated, frustrating violations of a North Dakota custody order by their ex.

Document and communicate

Establishing that there has been a violation of the custody order is an important starting point. Therefore, an adult deprived of a say in a major issue about their children or turned away from their parenting time will need to keep detailed records about each incident they experience. That way, they can show their co-parent or possibly the family courts that there has been a pattern of custody order violations. After a handful of such violations, a parent will be in a better position to discuss their concerns with their co-parent.

Non-confrontational communication, possibly via a parenting app, could help draw attention to the issue and may resolve it. If the other parent does not adjust their behavior after reviewing the documentation, then taking extra steps may be necessary.

Ask the family courts for support

Ideally, co-parents will work with each other to resolve disagreements about their parenting schedule or the way that they share decision-making authority. When they cannot, the family courts can intervene. The South Dakota family courts can enforce an existing custody order. A family law judge can order one parent to offer the other more time with the children to make up for lost time. A judge can also provide very clear instructions regarding the division of decision-making authority. In scenarios where it seems clear that one parent will not abide by the order, judges even have the authority to modify the existing custody order.

Ultimately, parents who remain calm and try to resolve things amicably will usually have an easier time convincing the courts that they’re trying to act in the children’s best interests. Knowing how to handle custody challenges may lead to a more favorable resolution during a parenting dispute.

FindLaw Network