Melinda Weerts Law, PLLC Family & Divorce Law
To talk to an experienced family law attorney about your case,
please call our Fargo office at 701-297-2234

Finding Positive Solutions For Your
Family Law Concerns

Do you need to modify your child custody arrangements?

On Behalf of | Aug 30, 2022 | Child Custody |

It is not always easy to deal with changes in family dynamics, including changes to child custody arrangements. If you have recently had a significant change in your life that impacts your children’s living situation, a modification to your current child custody arrangement may be necessary.

Consequently, you should know about the specific laws that apply in North Dakota. 

What is the process to modify custody arrangements?

A child custody modification is a legal process whereby a court modifies an existing child custody order. A change in circumstances is generally required before a court will entertain a motion to modify child custody, such as:

  • One parent moves out of the area (or wants to do so)
  • Remarriage of either parent, which is affecting the household dynamics
  • The needs of the child have changed
  • The child has strong opinions about the custody and visitation situation
  • Job changes that make one parent less able to provide childcare

The court will consider several factors when deciding on child custody modifications. These include the child’s age, the child’s relationship with each parent, the child’s preference (if the child is old enough to express a choice), the need for stability in the child’s life and any evidence of abuse or neglect. In addition, the court may consider any changes in the circumstances of either parent that could impact the child’s welfare. Ultimately, the goal is to make a decision that is in the child’s best interests.

Parents who wish to modify a child custody arrangement may find the process complex and confusing. Therefore, it is essential to have skilled legal guidance by your side to protect your interests and help secure a favorable outcome for you and your children.

FindLaw Network