Melinda Weerts Law, PLLC Family & Divorce Law
To talk to an experienced family law attorney about your case,
please call our Fargo office at 701-297-2234

Finding Positive Solutions For Your
Family Law Concerns

A look at selected North Dakota divorce grounds

On Behalf of | Mar 12, 2021 | Divorce |

Most states have made it possible for those seeking a divorce to do so without assigning fault other than the inability to get along, which is called irreconcilable differences.

Nearly all divorces in the Fargo region of North Dakota occur because of irreconcilable differences. However, some people still choose to cite specific fault grounds for seeking a divorce.

Why do people use divorce grounds?

As we said before, most people do not, but sometimes citing divorce grounds may help people get the best overall outcome. For example, citing cruelty may help parents attain full physical custody of their kids.

What are the grounds for divorce in North Dakota?

Our state currently has seven separate grounds for getting divorced. Below, we will talk about five of these grounds.

  • Extreme cruelty, which means causing grievous bodily harm or mental suffering to the other spouse.
  • Willful neglect, which typically means failing to provide for the other spouse’s life necessities
  • Willful desertion, which has several definitions such as the refusal to have marital intercourse
  • Adultery, which involves having sexual relations with a party outside of the marriage
  • Substance and alcohol abuse, which involves using substances in a way that interferes with functioning or causes the other spouse anguish

Should you cite grounds other than irreconcilable differences?

It depends upon your situation and your immediate needs. If you are unsure whether you need to claim grounds other than irreconcilable differences, consider seeking a legal opinion. Getting the perspective of a legal advocate can help you decide how to move forward with your divorce.

Continue exploring our firm’s website for information about divorcing in North Dakota and Minnesota.

FindLaw Network