To talk to an experienced family law attorney about your case,
please call our Fargo office at
Menu Contact

Can failure to pay child support impact my credit score?

When a child support order is issued in North Dakota, the supporting parent is expected to make the payments on time and in full. In some instances, however, these noncustodial parents fall behind on payments. For some, there are extenuating circumstances that prevent them from keeping up with their child support payments. In others, there is an ongoing child support dispute, and they make the mistake of not paying what is owed as part of the acrimony.

Regardless of why it is taking place, the failure to pay child support can cause serious problems for both the noncustodial parent and the custodial parent. Understanding what steps the state will take to get those payments is critical considering that it can impose penalties on noncompliant parents. One strategy that is frequently used is to report the delinquent payments to credit reporting agencies. To avoid this problematic step or to deal with issues that led up to it, having legal help can be crucial.

Parents who owe past-due support typically receive a notification in the mail about it before informing credit card monitors of the delinquency. Once it is reported, it can cause a myriad of problems for the parent. This includes a reduced credit score, issues getting credit, problems renting a place to live, the trouble buying a home, obstacles buying an automobile, and challenges getting certain jobs. For many people, the missed payments are little more than a misunderstanding or a disagreement with the custodial parent. Still, it is wise to keep the agency abreast of any issues that affect one's ability to pay, such as a job change or job loss, as well as the need for assistance to handle a difficult time.

When owed child support is paid, the noncustodial parent will be reported as current on the payments. However, the information of the past-due child support might stay on the credit report. Before the situation gets out of hand and there is a need to report unpaid child support to credit agencies, it may be useful to contact a legal professional to try to come to a reasonable resolution such as a modification of the order or a payment plan. Calling for legal assistance with child support can be key to successfully resolving these issues and should be done as soon as possible.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Tell Us About Your Case

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Commandments of Family Law

  1. The only truth your children need to know is that you both love them unconditionally, and that this isn't their fault.
  2. Take the high road — everyone wins when you do what's best for your kids.
  3. Negotiate but don't capitulate — if you are being pushed toward something detrimental for your children, stand your ground.
  4. You can only control yourself and how you respond. Don't engage.
  5. Do set up rules and responsibilities. Kids feel better when routine is continued.
  6. You are still their parent — don't be afraid to be one.
  7. Disneyland is in California, not in your home. Don't set up unreasonable expectations.
  8. It is not their job to take care of you. Repeat that to them. Often.
  9. Yelling is for sports — not court. Good lawyers strongly advocate without being disrespectful to opposing parties.
  10. Fair is a place you go to get cheese curds. Aside from that, nothing in life is fair.

Our Location:

Melinda Weerts PLLC
2534 South University Drive Suite 2
Fargo, ND 58103

Fax: 701-271-0082
Fargo Law Office Map

Back to top